If you’re interested in buying a folding bike, you’ve come to the right place! The Folding Bike Hut is here to provide you with the best folding bike reviews so that you can get the right information that you need when it comes to buying a foldable bike. Having us on your side will make your shopping experience for the perfect folding bike much better (and easier!)
Our portable bike reviews are here to serve as a guide, meaning you’ll not make a bad purchase and will be sure to buy something that’s right for you.
There are many types of folding bikes out there, and they can be had in a variety of different shapes and sizes, which can lead you feeling overwhelmed with the amount of choice available.
Why should you buy a folding bike?
How’s the quality of these bikes?
People have many different reasons for why they’d like to own a folding bike, with the most common reasons being concerned with flexibility, mobility and price. Regular bikes can be very expensive to look after and be very impractical due to their size. This makes having a foldable bike a great option due to it being very easy to stow away in the house. Not only this, but it’s a great option for people that like to cycle to work as it means that your bike can be stored inside the workplace and not have to be left outside where you risk having it stolen.
The quality of the bikes that we were given the chance to examine for our folding bike reviews was simply amazing, as we were blown away that they could be so well-designed and built to such a high standard, yet cost so little. These bikes have been designed in such a way that customers get a portable bike at a relatively low price, but the manufacturers have also focused on quality.
Are folding bikes safe?
Folding bikes are designed to the same safety regulations as regular bikes and our reviews are heavily focused on these aspects. With that being said, you should take the same safety precautions while riding a folding bike that you would while riding a regular bike (wear a helmet, etc!)
Our Top Picks
- Dahon Mariner D7
- Weight: 25.9 lbs (11.7 kg)
- Folded Size: 11″ x 32″ x 26″ (28 x 81 x 65 cm)
- Gears: 7
- Customer Reviews: 4.9 out of 5 stars
- Dahon Mu Uno
- Weight: 21.9 lbs (9.6 kg)
- Folded Size: 10″ x 31″ x 26″ (26 x 78 x 66 cm)
- Gears: 1
- Customer Reviews: 4.5 out of 5 stars
- Dahon Vigor P9
- Weight: 25.8 lbs (11.7 kg)
- Folded Size: 26” x 13” x 32” (66 x 34 x 81 cm)
- Gears: 9
- Customer Reviews: 4 out of 5 stars
- Schwinn Loop 7
- Weight: 33.1 lbs (15.0 kg)
- Folded Size: 16” x 33” x 26” (40 x 82 x 66 cm)
- Gears: 7
- Customer Reviews: 4 out of 5 stars
- Montague Paratrooper Pro
- Weight: 28.9 lbs (13.1 kg)
- Folded Size: 12" × 28" × 36" (31 × 71 × 92 cm)
- Gears: 27
- Customer Reviews: 4.8 out of 5 stars
HOW TO RECOGNIZE A GOOD FOLDABLE BIKE?
Folding bikes come in many shapes and sizes, and their specifications depend on a lot of things. Different manufacturers make different bikes for lots of different purposes and price points. However, if you’re looking to buy a portable bike, i.e a folding bike, you definitely came to the right place since our folding bike reviews are packed full of important and interesting details. We’ve made sure to cover all of the important aspects of foldable bikes and you can rest assured that our bike reviews are done in a honest and professional manner.
When it comes to the quality of portable bikes, there are many ways in which we inspected the bikes that we’ve reviewed on the site. Generally, the best folding bikes are very similar in specification at each of the different price points, but there are some small differenced that only experienced bike mechanics can find, and our team are more than capable of doing this. Folding bikes need to satisfy our strict criteria in order to obtain a positive rating in our reviews. They have to be made from high quality materials, have components that work flawlessly and it must be put together well to ensure complete safety.
Is price important?
A good folding bike should not be too expensive if you don’t want it to be. Cheap folding bikes are something everybody reading this site will be interested in, and we offer out reviews about the best of those affordable folding bikes. Being able to buy quality folding bikes for under 500 dollars is a great reason to be alive in this day and age. When folding bikes were first put on sale they were incredibly expensive and not that great. Thankfully manufacturing has come a long way since then!
Folding Bike Benefits
When people ask us about the benefits of having a folding bike, we usually don't know where to start; there's so many! Below we have compiled a short list of the benefits that we feel are the most important due to these being the main reasons why people consider getting a folding bike:
- Saving Money: Want to save a lot of money? Having a folding bike enables this. Imagine being able to ditch your car and never having to pay for fuel, insurance, parking tickets and any form of maintenance. The beauty of having a folding bike means that even if you have a longer commute, you can still take your bike and easily fold it up when using the bus or train. We estimate that our team saves over $1000 per month combined on travel due to owning folding bikes
- Regular Exercise: You probably already know that it’s important to get daily exercise, so what better way than to shed those extra pounds on your commute? Having a folding bike to commute to and from work means that you’ll easily get enough exercise each day to leave you looking and feeling much healthier.
- Portability: It’s incredibly hard to travel in any of the major cities in the world by car due to congestion and parking availability. This means you’re often forced to use public transport or walk to get around. Foldable bikes are often a similar size to a briefcase and are light enough in weight that they can be carried wherever you’d like to go.
Are cheap folding bikes good?
If a folding bike is relatively cheap, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s poorer in quality compared to other bikes made by a manufacturer. These folding bikes are still built to incredibly high standards, as the cheaper folding bikes are usually the best sellers, and are only cheaper because they don’t have some extras that the more expensive bikes have.
Folding Bike Types
There are lots of different folding bike manufacturers as well as different types. The majority of collapsible bikes typically have 20 inch wheels, but there are also other options to choose from:
- Folding Road Bikes: The first portable bike type that we’re going to cover is the road bike. As you’d probably expect, these are generally the lightest folding bikes available. While these aren’t as common as regular foldable bikes, they are growing in popularity due to the recent rise in popularity of road cycling.
- Folding Mountain Bikes: The second type that we’re going to cover is the mountain bike. These used to be a bit of a niche market in the folding bike market but have recently been growing in popularity. As you can imagine, they’re not the most portable bike due to the size!